Tuesday 4 May 2010

About an expert in my field: Marvin Harris


Marvin Harris is a anthropologist, he was born in New York in 1927, he obtained the title of Bachelor of Arts in the Columbia College in 1948. He studied in the university of Columbia. He is the principal exponent of "cultural materialism". Between 1953 a 1959 he was assistant professor in the Department of Anthropology in the University of Columbia. He has distributed a lot of conferences in Americans and Europeans universities, and he has participated in programs of radio and television. He has done studies of camp in Bahia, Rio of Janeiro and India. Also, he has done investigations about the Thonga of Mozambique between 1956 and 1957. His principal books are: “Minas Velhas: A Study of Urbanism in the Mountains of Eastern Brazil” in 1953, “War: The Anthropology of Armed Conflict and Aggression” in 1958, and “Patterns of Races in the Americas” in 1964.
I don’t know too much about him, because I’m a beginner in the way of the Anthropology, but I have read a few of his works, and I think that they will be useful for my training in the carrer. Maybe he is an excellent person. Someday I am going to know it.

4 comments:

  1. He is anarchist !!! Be careful! That's bad
    kajkaakakajajjajaja
    Nice work my potencial friend, but you put 1953 a 1959. XD but its okey, you are terrible bilinguish.
    See you

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! Marvin Harris was a greatest anthropologist! I read a book of him, "good to eat" and it was so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloo
    He is a great anthropologist, I like his books of theories in anthropology. Besides, I like cultural materialism.
    Remember The anthropolgy must be sciencie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, the anthropology should be a science, but many people try all the time to do it increasingly lazy. Marvin Harris is one of few anthropologists that it tries to do interesting and difficult works with the discipline. Because of it it is the biggest thing, and I love it <3

    ReplyDelete